Deciding on the right school is a very important decision. We offer strong programs in a unique atmosphere helping students develop work skills and self-confidence.
Who are Career Academy Students?
Individuals seeking career and technical education skill development
How do students come to us?
- Public school partnerships
- Private school placements
- Private choice
Admissions Step-by-Step Process
Step One: Inquiry
- Northstar Career Academy contacted by referral source (if applicable) and interested family.
- Application and supporting documents completed and submitted to Holly Peele, Career Academy Director at 8155A Staples Mill Rd., Richmond, VA 23228.
- A visit to the school is scheduled.
Step Two: Discussion & Tour
- Tour the school and grounds
- Discuss needs of student and benefits of Northstar
- Meet with Northstar faculty members to review the application, most recent IEP/IAP, eligibility minutes, and school/independent evaluations and any other required documentation. The student, the student’s family members, and referring parties (if applicable) should attend.
Step Three: Observation
- The prospective student spends the afternoon at Northstar shadowing another student.
Step Four: Consideration & Decision
- The Admissions Committee determines if Northstar Career Academy is the right solution for the prospective student.
- The prospective student determines whether or not Northstar Career Academy is the right career step for his/her personal and professional goals.
Step Five: Enrollment
- The enrollment packet, including contract, is completed and submitted with a $50 enrollment fee.
- Family is informed of scholarship process and payment plans.
- Date of enrollment is set.
- For privately placed students, an Individualized Academic Plan (IAP) is developed within 30 days of enrollment. For publicly placed students, Northstar Career Academy collaborates with placing agencies to create or revise student service plans (local education agencies – Individualized Education Plan; Department of Aging and Rehabilitation Services – Individualized Employment Plan). Services are then delivered and reporting is provided as delineated by these plans.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Specific Learning Disabilities
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Visual Impairments
- Hearing Impairments
- Developmental Delays
- Intellectual Disabilities
- Emotional Disabilities
- Multiple Disabilities
- Orthopedic Impairments
- Speech and Language Impairments
- Other Health Impairments
- Career Academy and Public High School
- Career Academy and Private Day School
- Career Academy and College
- Career Academy and Employment
- Career Academy and Homeschool
- Career Academy and DARS
Northstar Career Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, age, disability, religion or national origin.